Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Thought I Knew My Bible

I THOUGHT I KNEW MY BIBLE

Yes, I thought I knew my Bible
Reading piecemeal, hit or miss

Now a part of John or Matthew
Then a bit of Genesis

Certain chapters of Isaiah
Certain psalms, the twenty third.

First of Proverbs, twelfth of Romans
Yes, I thought I knew the Word

But I found that thorough reading
Was a different thing to do

And the way was unfamiliar
When I read my Bible through.

You who like to play at Bible
Dip and dabble here and there

Just before you kneel all weary
Yawning through a hurried prayer.

You who treat this crown of writings
As you treat no other book

Just a paragraph disjointed
Just a crude impatient look.

Try a worthier procedure
Try a broad and steady view;

You will kneel in awesome wonder
When you read the Bible through, and through, and through.

http://www.thebereancall.org/node/1031


2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

No comments :