Thursday, February 03, 2005

Known by Love

I've been following a conversation where they have been debating on the best way to witness. In particular debating about coming on too strong with "christian-ese" or trying to play up to people trying to share common interests with them until you get an opening to share your faith.

These, and other points have all been very worthy considerations, though I think the point gets a little muddied when a person spends too much time worrying about how other people will take them, or if they will somehow make a mistake and turn people off of Christ.

I'm just as guilty of forgetting a very simple point: the fact that we are commissioned to go out into the world and "be a witness", NOT that we are to "go and witness". It not as much about what you "do" as it is about what you "are".


Jesus said that the witness of Him would be based on love.

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.


Look also for what motivated Jesus. He was moved by compassion.

Mat 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

Mar 6:34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

Mat 14:14 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.

Mar 1:41 And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.


Do you think that the burdeon of winning converts lies soley on the effectiveness of your effort? I say to you, you are not the one that saves people. Don't quote verses or beat people over the head with the bible.

You cannot save anyone. Jesus is the one who paid the price, and it is the Holy Spirit that leads a heart to salvation.

Your part is to go out and live your life as a witness to others. Speak the Word out of the abundance of your heart in due season. Speak the truth in love.

If you are moved by compassion, acting in love, and what you do draws attention to Jesus and the Father (instead of yourself) then you can not go wrong.


One thing to note though, even though you go out and sincerly act in love to others, there will still be some people who will not accept or like you. Keep in mind, that it is not you they are rejecting, they are rejecting Jesus.

Joh 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

So don't measure your sprituality based on people's acceptance or rejection of you. Any measuring should be done only against God's Word.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I have found that publicly acknowledging God's works as His, and not blaming God for the enemy's is a huge witness among non-believer's and even carnal Christians.

So often, it is difficult to argue the truth of God using the Bible with someone who does not believe that what the Bible says is true. But with all due respect to Andrew Wommack, "Someone with experience is never at the mercy of someone with an argument." In 1 John, we find that every believer ought to be overcoming the world, and in Revelation, we find that the saints overcame partly by the word of their testimony.

When my mouth testifies of the work of God in my life, that says something, because I am not drawing attention to myself for what the world would see as my own successes. But rather I am redirecting praise and thanks to the source who is my Provider.

What if, instead of patting myself on the back for my perceived success, I give God credit for blessing me? What if I thanked Him for giving me joy, and wisdom? Didn't Jesus say, 'If I am lifted up, then I will draw all men unto me'? And when Joe hears about what God did for me, he wants to know how God made me so successful, how God made me so happy, and how he can know God. If I promote God according to what He's done, that is impressive, because I am redirecting honor away from myself to its rightful recipient. And nobody may want to be me, but they will still want to have what I have, which is Jesus.